Trash is collected on Monday and Thursday. Recycling is collected every Monday. American Disposal Services recommends that you have your trash to the curb by 6:00 a.m. For more information, please see their website.
Hazardous Waste Disposal
- Button batteries (used in watches, hearing aids, calculators, etc.) For more information about battery recycling and collection locations, go to the Rechargeable Battery Corporation’s webpage: http://www.rbrc.org/consumer/uslocate.html.
- Fertilizers with herbicides
- Gasoline and other unwanted fuels
- Household and automotive cleaning products
- Oil-based paint, although hardened oil-based paint may also be disposed of in the trash. (Latex paint is not a Household Hazardous Waste. Learn more…
- Paint thinners & solvents
- Photographic chemicals
- Rechargeable batteries
- Swimming pool chemicals
Waste That Will Not Be Accepted:
- Ammunition: Call the Fire & Rescue dispatcher at 703-777-0637 or the Fire Marshal’s office at 703-737-8600.
- Asbestos: should only be removed by a trained contractor.
- Automotive: Used motor oil, antifreeze and lead-acid automobile batteries are not accepted at HHW events, but can be taken to the Loudoun County Landfill for recycling year-round.
- Carbon monoxide detectors: They can be disposed of with your regular household trash.
- Commercial, industrial, or medical waste (including biologically active waste): Contact a local waste management service company about these wastes (listed in the yellow pages)
- Compressed gas cylinders larger than five pounds (camp stove size)
- Dioxins, Kepones
- Explosives, including fireworks: Call the Loudoun County Fire Marshal, 703-737-8600, for pickup
- Household trash or special pick-up items.
- Propane and helium cylinders: Propane cylinders can be returned to the point of purchase or delivered to the landfill empty for disposal. Helium tanks may also be delivered to the landfill for disposal.
- Radioactive materials
- Shock-sensitive materials
- Smoke detectors: They can be disposed of with your regular household trash.
- Unknown materials: Items without any type of identification